Mangalore.jbss.in

Home page of Mangalore City

h-s-c link link link
banner
History - Mangalore history, History of Mangalore city

History

about-mangalore

According to Hindu mythology, the region covering Mangalore was a part of the Parashurama Shristi, the coastal belt reclaimed from the sea by the legendary sage Parashurama. It was the land of enchantment of Sahyadri mountains, where the great sages Kanva, Vysa, Vashista, Vishvamitra and others spent their days of meditation.

There are many historical references regarding to the town. Cosmas Indicopleustes, a Greek monk referred to the port of Mangarouth. Pliny, a Roman historian made references of a place called Nithrias, and Greek historian Ptolemy referred to Nitre. Both the references were probably to the River Netravathi. Ptolemy had also mentioned this city of Mangalore in his work as Maganoor. Roman writer Arien called Mangalore Mandegora. A 7th-century copper inscription referred to Mangalore as Mangalapura.

The city had a peaceful administration under British rule and permanent visible improvements effected during this period. It flourished gradually in education and in industry and became a commercial centre for export and import trade. The linking of Mangalore, in 1907, with the Southern Railway and later the advent of motor vehicles further increased the trade and communication with the rich hinterland. The opening of the Basel Mission in 1834 brought many industries into the city. After India's independence in 1947, Mangalore which was a part of the Madras Presidency was merged into a unified Mysore State in 1956.