Home page of Mangalore City

h-s-c link link link
Tourist Places - Milagres Church

Milagres Church

Milagres Church

Milagres Church, Church of Our Lady of Miracles, renowned as Milagres Church, is a central attraction in Mangalore. Bishop Thomas de Castro, a Theatine priest of Salcette, solemnly constructed it in 1680. It is believed that the soldiers of Tipu Sultan once destroyed some parts of the church - the stones were used by Tipu to build the Idgah on Lighthouse Hill.

The Christians had moved further south to Kanara but they lacked priestly leadership, as many of the priests returned to Goa when the Portuguese withdrew. In 1658, a Carmelite missionary visited the Kanara Christians and reported their plight to Rome. The Holy See came to their aid, appointing Rev. Fr. Thomas de Castro, a Theatine Priest, Vicar Apostolic of Kanara and Malabar in 1674.

Milagres Church is considered as one of the beautiful artistic houses of prayer in Mangalore embedded with architectural beauty. The church has a superb altar with a French painting of St Monica and St Augustine, really an awesome rare piece of art worth visiting.

Castro did not arrive until three years later in Mangalore, and a church was built soon after he landed. He died on 16 July 1684 and his grave in the Milagres cemetery may be identified as his by bronze slab next to the St. Monica Chapel.